Written by Amelia
I just turned 30, and I’m only now realizing that I like to cook. I think this is because when I went to a job everyday, I came home with no energy and no ambition to do anything except curl up on the couch in a coma of cheese doodles and reality tv.
Don’t get me wrong, there are still nights where I eat popcorn and / or oreos for dinner, but for the most part, I actually enjoy the process of preparing food now. Besides my new-found energy as the result of the absence of a soul-sucking job, I’ve put together a list of five things that make cooking more enjoyable for me.
1. Music- I mostly use Songza. The music concierge is great in the same way Pandora is great. You know what you’ll get, but you don’t know what you’ll get, minus the annoying ads.
2. Celebratory Beverages- Wine. Beer. Whatever. A little bit of booze makes me add a little bit more (cover your ears, Emily) butter than the recipe calls for, and that makes everything taste better.
3. Pinterest- I love searching Pinterest for recipes. The photography is usually great, and the recipes are usually even better. Plus, I always pin things and forget about them, then when I’m like, “Ugh.. I don’t know what to make for dinner,” I actually have way more options than I realized. Here’s my food board.
4. Company- I’m lucky to be married to a man who loves food. However, looking back on the time I spent living alone, I think it’s silly that I didn’t take the time to cook for myself and others. Throw a party, make soup for your neighbors, or take goodies into your soul-sucking job. Food makes everyone happier, and when you know someone else is eating it, you’ll try a little harder than popcorn and / or oreos.
5. A Plan B- Sometimes you burn shit. Sometimes you grill a beautiful pizza, drop it, and watch it splatter all over the patio. Sometimes you just have to put on your big girl pants, have another drink, and order take-out.
Here are a few easy go-to recipes I’ve been loving lately:
Roasted Sage Apples that I made as a side to Pierogies
Yum, right!? So, what will you be having for dinner?